Friday, May 4, 2007

ants, accountibility and dishes...

They're back. The ants. In full force. I hate them, but I use them.

This is our second spring in this house and our second invasion of those little black creatures that scurry across the countertops in my kitchen. Last year we used poison and this year I'm trying to go without. It's not that I have anything against chemical killing agents, I'm just trying to avoid them with all the kids in the house. So my strategy is to keep the kitchen really clean.
At the first sign of the ants I completely cleaned off every countertop and appliance (small and large). This made them disappear, for a while. Then the scouts came back, one here, two there. I'd squish each one and rinse them down the drain to make sure they were gone for good. I figured when the scouts didn't show back up at the nest, surely they'd deem my kitchen to be a "danger zone" and give up. Not that easy.

So here's where I'm at. If I so much as leave one little dish in the sink, they're on it like flies. But, if I keep my kitchen spotless (ajaxing the sink after every cooking expedition-which is like twenty times a day around here!!), I only see random stragglers. This brings me to acceptance. Acceptance of the ants for the sole reason of keeping my kitchen clean. Crazy, I know, but it works. The ants keep me accountable.

I imagine them gathered around in their nest: "That lady, she has a real problem with crumbs and unloading the dishwasher in the morning. Why don't we send in a few of the troops and see if we can't get her to clean up the place."

Ok, so maybe they don't personally hold me accountable, it's just their presence. And trust me, I've not found some new love for these things. No "I love ants" bumper stickers, I'm just using them to help me out a little.

Must run now, I cant' remember if I ajaxed after breakfast...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ugh. We had those little black ants at our last house. The only way we could get rid of them was via exterminator - but we didn't have kids then. Good luck!

TheFitnessFreak said...

Hey, any reason to keep something clean has to be a good one, and ants are a good reason! Have fun with those little stinkers:)

Bekah said...

Oh man. I'd be in trouble if we had ants.