Saturday, December 13, 2008

No really, they don't need toys.

To be honest, if it were up to me, the kids would get very little for Christmas and it would all be second hand. I view new toys like new cars, the minute you open the package they depreciate. It sounds mean to some of you but let me make my case.

Tonight, due to some "behavior issues" they lost their privilege to play with toys in the bath. Instead they had to just sit there with nothing but the two rags I had put in the water to wash them up with.

You know what they did?

As I sat there nursing Adysen, I watched and listened as they turned those two little rags into pieces of seaweed that were floating in the ocean. Then they became dolphins and sharks and fishies and butterflies and crocodiles. After the "ocean scene" they turned it into a "snow scene" and they had an imaginary snowball fight giggling all the while.

Instead, the gift my kids need this year is more of my time. Not the time I spend cooking and cleaning and teaching and disciplining, I'm fresh out of that kind. Just laughing with them, imagining with them and asking them what they would like to do for the day. I'm pretty good and steering away from materialism and often take pride in it, but I can't say I've been as diligent in really engaging my kids and quietly listening to them lately.

That's all they really want and need for Christmas.

3 comments:

Farrah said...

Amen! I love giving Lucy presents and making Christmas special but I do often remind myself that the gift of a mother's time is so much more valuable than material items. Besides, how many times have we given a gift just to have our children play with the wrapping paper? The best part of Christmas is that it's an excuse to get rid of un-used toys (and Jesus birthday of course:)

Beks said...

Sweet! Because I don't know how to break this to ya but, I'm broke. No gifts for anyone this year. But I'll be glad to hear you tell me your imaginary stories too.

TheFitnessFreak said...

Amen! Oh, and to have a girl to spark imagination around here would be nice:)