Monday, November 2, 2009

Scheduling, a dangerous job.

My dear, sweet sister sent me the coolest book on scheduling and organizing my household. She actually bought the book for herself and didn't see the subtitle (that was quite large:-)!) "A Practical Guide to Daily Scheduling for Christian Homeschool Families" and since she is not homeschooling yet, thought it might be good for me.

I read through the entire book in one evening.

It's like 175 pages of organization on steroids. I loved it.

I am not an organized person. Routine, yes. Scheduled, uhhhh...

The next evening I set out scheduling everyone's chart and what our goals for each day would be. It was akin to a really challenging math problem, trying to get all of the time slots for five people to mesh and become cohesive. But, alas, I came out the victor and our schedule was born.

Ofcourse, this all happened by Thursday night and I prepped the kids for it on Friday and let them know we would start Monday. Some of my kids fall into the type A category and begged to start at that very moment, so me being flexible said "sure, why not?".

I don't think that was part of the plan. Oops. Oh well.

Ashlynn started rinsing dishes (her new job) and Gage began to load the kids plates (his new job) and the next thing I knew.....water was all over the floor and Gage didn't realize the rack needed to be pushed in before the door was closed resulting in a broken plate.

Who's idea was this?

The rest of Friday actually went really well and all of the kids had quiet time (so did I!) and we all played together (scheduled now) read together (scheduled now) and made dinner together (also on the schedule). We spent Saturday really cleaning and Sunday was very relaxed. We are now in our official first day and it has been AMAZING!

Seriously, I am so not into schedules; I like to wake up and see where the day takes me. But we have not wasted a moment today, no TV, my house is clean, laundry is done (scheduled to be put away at 3:30), school is done, the kitchen is clean and I know what I making for dinner!

The best part of all, the kids love it. So thank you Nicole, now I'm sorry, but I can only call at scheduled times only.......:-)

6 comments:

TheFitnessFreak said...

I'm so glad you like it! You'll be able to show me the ropes when I need it in a few years. And I'll show you the Managers of Their Chores ropes : )

I'll just wait until you call me except on the weekends, it's open season then : )

Beks said...

Ha-larious. Love it.

Lizzie M. said...

Cole-sounds good!

Jen said...

I'm so impressed! But I can't believe you sat down and read the whole book in one evening! That's CRAZING (amazing and crazy put together). :)

Lizzie M. said...

Crazing....I like it! :-)

Niki said...

Oh, Liz- so funny. I like how you said "yet" to Cole homeschooling. Nicole, do you hear??
It's really good to catch up, read your posts, and see how you're doing. I was looking at stillmadeintheusa.com, and saw two apron sites. I looked, and saw some aprons that look similar to the cute ones you and Debbie make. So, of course, I got on your blog... and I really like the headband shown. Could I order three for the girls? My email is l.atherton2@cox.net- just send an email with the shipping/total amount. I'll get a check to you (for the camera fund!:-) if it's a yes.