Monday, April 12, 2010

A New Twist.



You all know that Friday night is pizza and movie night around our house. Though sometimes it falls on a Thursday or Saturday with Randy's schedule, you can bet that at least once a week some pizza will be coming hot and fresh out of the oven.

Most of the gang prefers sausage & salami, while Paula and I load the veggies on ours. Last week I tried something a little different, I sauteed the vegetables first. Maybe this seems like common sense to some of you, but I usually just chop up what I have, throw them on raw and let the oven take care of the rest.

Something about caramelizing them first just sounded good last week, so I gave it a try. I chopped what I had: red bell pepper, mushroom, zucchini and green onions. In the saute pan with a touch of olive oil they went and I stir them until they were looking browned and delicious. The dough and sauce were in the pan ready to go, so I spread the veggies on top, put a layer of fresh spinach on top of them, then cheese and baked as usual.

All I can say.....I ate five pieces with no problems, well, I mean I was quite full, but I managed to get it all down. You have to try it, and let me know if you use other vegetables, I was just using up what was left from the week. I'll post the sauce and crust recipe tomorrow.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Oh my gosh! I wish we were neighbors so I could invite myself over, because you know I would;) That sounds amazing! I was just craving homemade pizza today - please post your sauce & crust recipe!

Mama V said...

My mouth is watering!!! :)