Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Shhhhhh....

If you have children, I wonder, do you find yourself saying "shhhh" all day?? "The baby is sleeping, shhh", "I'm on the phone, shhhh"; "I'm right in the middle of something very important, shhhh"; "can you guys be quiet for a second, shhhh". These are all part of my vocabulary and I use them often. Maybe too often.

Lately, I've been wondering what I'm "shushing". Could it be some creative, thought provoking idea from Ashlynn (she amazes me often!)? A cute story and laugh from Ryder? Why am I always shushing them; am I letting household chores and "grown-up" obligations rob me of precious moments with my kids?

I have determined to designate Thursday to be a shush free day in my house. It's not that I want my kids to run the place, I certainly am not going to throw obedience, responsibility and discipline out the window here. But, I want to hear more of what my kids have to say and think. Their words may very well be foolish and childish, what a great learning opportunity then! I figure if I'm always too busy to listen to them, I'll always be too busy to teach to them. And isn't that part of what God has called me to do as a mother?

I'll let you know how it goes....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll be checking back to see how this goes!! What a neat idea!