Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving!

We had a great day and a fabulous meal today! This year I decided to attempt roasting the turkey...
After a five hour brine in salt water and overnight to dry in the fridge, it was off to the oven with George Washington (Ashlynn picked the name,hey, it's tradition!). Carefully, I followed every step and babied him for three and half hours. When I pulled that beautiful bronzed dude out of the oven I had to grin. The moment of truth was still to come-was it done, raw, overdone?

We loaded up the car (apple bars, homemade rolls, sweet potato casserole, stuffing and cranberry sauce) and headed over to D & L. There it sat on the counter, just waiting to be carved. The first slice, I exhaled a bit. Then another, then another and I began breathing more normal. It wasn't dry and it wasn't raw!!! I will admit to praying the whole time that guy was in the oven; Lord, please let it not be undercooked, please let it not be chalky. Thankfully, He answers even the little stuff and it turned out pretty good.

After the meal and we were all stuffed like hogs, we crashed on the sofa to watch the games (Go Pack!!). It was a relaxing, laughter filled, thankful day. We came home put the kids in bed and that is where I am headed right now....goodnight and Happy Thanksgiving!

4 comments:

Bekah said...

YAY!! Good job!!

TheFitnessFreak said...

Sounds fabulous! I wish I could have been there:)

Farrah said...

Sounds like a wonderful turkey day...well, maybe not for George Washington but for the rest of you.

Deborah Hays said...

O'Reilly turned out too!! Our drunk turkey (he had to soak in a brine mixture that included a couple of cups of bourbon) came out nice and smoked! His designated flyer, Buddy, roasted away in the oven just in case O'Reilly didn't come through. I just missed being with my girls and their families. Living long distant is not my cup of tea.

Love to you all, mom