Wednesday, November 7, 2007

They're gone.

Well, apparently when your husband is out of town for almost two weeks, you go a little crazy. The following episode didn't help.

This all takes place at a busy fabric store while in line:

Ashlynn: Can I have (everything in the store)?

Me: No, Ashlynn I just need some thread real quick.

Ryder: Can I have (everything in the store)?

Me: No, guys I just need to get this thread and we're out of here.

Ashlynn (at a decibel loud enough for everyone in line to hear): You never get us anything, you only get yourself everything.

Me: (If looks could kill)

Ashlynn: I can't hear you.

Me (in a hushed tone): You are in sooooo much trouble.

Ashlynn: You really need to use your inside voice. I can't hear you.

Ryder (not quite as loud as his sister): You never get us anything,, you always get everything. I want candy.

Me (trying to wish the whole thing away, while turning five shades of red, while holding a fidgety Gage): We'll talk about it in the car (while still giving the "if looks could kill" look).

After a lecture in the car about disrespect, obedience and listening I decided the consequence would need to be big. So today I went through the entire house and collected every single toy they own, put them all in trash bags and into the storage room in the basement. Funny thing, the kids were actually helping sort and put them away-with gusto.

Now only a few of Gage's toys remain and they have all been playing really well. They've been pirates, acrobats, and musicians. I think I'm starting to like this no toys thing.

5 comments:

Farrah said...

I had to take all of Lucy's things away last year because she wasn't working in school. I bagged up her entire room and told her she could earn each thing back as she worked hard and didn't complain...haven't had any trouble since!

And I understand that scenario all to well. Your child is being loud and disobedient in the store but you cannot threaten them because you're in public. I think they know this. But we do have to be adults about it and not wonder if our children are out to disprove our "perfect mother" image.

TheFitnessFreak said...

I'll have to try that! :)

Jude said...

Hello. This is Danny (Jessica's Danny). Besides Jess you are the only other one I know of who blogs and Jess is the only other person who reads my blog (and between you and me I think she does it out of obligation). So alas I am drumming up blog readers, I too will repay the favor by reading your blog of course. It looks like you had an ordinary day in the life of supermom, however with as small platoon of children running around I can imagine they keep you on your toes.

anyway, my commenting on your blog is turning into my blog, then there will be blogs everywhere and it will be chaos!

Just wanted to say Hi.

-Danny

Lisa Gunn Magnus said...

Ok I cannot stop laughing to write. I am very proud of you for not giving in! Good job, sometimes it is easier to give in than be embarassed. Those two crack me up. I know not funny.

Anonymous said...

I've heard other moms say that the fewer toys their kids have, the better they play!! My boys don't have a ton of toys, but I haven't been brave enough to bag up the majority. I may have to do that!!