Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Tree hugger.....

One of my favorite little restaurants in San Diego serves the best french toast in the world! Tree hugger, granola french toast, to be exact. After catching a good tip the other day, I decided to try and make it myself-again. You see, I've tried to duplicate this dish for years and just kept winding up with burnt granola that would never stick to the bread. The other day I saw someone grind up the granola in the food processor first and then coat the bread, so I gave it another try......it was awesome! Here is the recipe:

First you have to make the granola:
3 1/2 c Rolled Oats
1/2 c toasted coconut (I use the unsweetened and I don't pre-toast)
1/2 c wheat germ (you can also use ground flaxseed)
1/2 c chopped almonds
1/2 c shopped pecans
1/4-1/2 t salt
1/3 c vegetable or canola oil
2/3 c pure maple syrup
1/2 T vanilla extract
Any other dried fruits and nuts you desire!


Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Mix the oats, coconut, wheat germ, almonds and pecans in a large bowl. In a small bowl combine salt, oil and syrup. Add the syrup mixture the the oats and blend. Spread out in a large jelly roll pan and bake in the oven for 1-1 1/2 hours, occasionally mixing the granola for even toasting.



French toast dip recipe (Enough for six slices of sandwich bread):
2 large eggs
3 T Milk
2 T Flour
1 T Brown Sugar
1/4 t vanilla extract


Whisk all of the ingredients until smooth. I mix it in a 9x13 pan to making soaking the bread easy.

Putting it all together:

After the granola has cooled, place a portion in a food processor or blender and chop until it is coarse crumbs. Spread on a plate and set aside.

Meanwhile, heat an electric griddle to 325 degrees (this temp will keep the granola from getting burned).

Soak the bread slices for thirty seconds each side in the egg mixture. Dip the soaked bread in the granola crumbs until evenly coated. You can press it on with your hands to help coat more evenly.

Spray griddle with cooking spray and place the bread slices on. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden. Keep a careful watch not to burn, but the lower temp helps with that. Enjoy!!!

***The granola can be used on its own with soy,rice or cow's milk for a great bowl of cereal. We also sprinkle it on our yogurt or just eat it by itself for a snack, the kids love it!!

7 comments:

Bekah said...

That is one complicated breakfast! I'll just drive to Janet's instead. ; )

TheFitnessFreak said...

Yummy:)~ Can't wait to make it!

Farrah said...

Janet's in Alpine has a good granola french toast too. I love granola, especially the vanilla almond form Henry's/Sprouts. One can only have a little (high cal's) but it's really good for yogurt parfaits!

Your recipe sounds yummy. If my broken dishwasher (Danny) ever gets fixed, I'll try it:)

Lizzie M. said...

Sure, thanks Bekah, "I'll just drive there instead". :-)

Jenn said...

Oooh, that sounds awesome!!

Jen said...

This sounds SO delish! I've been dreaming of that French toast since Paula & I went to Janet's! Can't wait to try this recipe. :)

Jen said...

Oooh! I LOVE Janet's granola French toast! Been dreaming of it ever since Paula & went there! Can't wait to try this recipe. :)