Tuesday, October 28, 2008

"Mooooom, I need some two part poxy!"

My kids ask a lot of questions. Especially Ryder. Personally, I think it's great and even encourage it. It's funny, whatever the question and whatever the answer, it always leads to more questions. I absolutely and thoroughly enjoy defining words they have never heard before or explain why and how something works.

Sometimes the answer lets me "off the hook" from things that would be impossible to take care of. Ryder has several plastic toys and occasionally these toys wind up broken. Now, anyone who knows my kids, knows all their toys are sacred. Meaning they actually play with them and enjoy them. If I try to get rid of some (no one seems to want to go along with my "one toy for every kid" rule?!?), they can name them, explain how they use them daily and hold them as if they were a best friend.

Ryder will come crying to me with a glue stick or tape dispenser holding an arm, a wheel or some random part to his beloved toy and ask me to reattach it. Now, growing up working at Alpine Lumber, I know that plastic cannot merely be glued back together with Elmer's, a glue stick or even super glue.

You must have a two part epoxy if you really want lasting power.

In an effort to deflect the pain of the broken toy and the fact that it will be a part short, I explain this to Ryder. The first few times he accepted this prognosis and went back to playing. Then he began to question.

Where is this two part epoxy?

If you know that is what will fix my toy, why don't we own this stuff?

Come on let's get in the car, go to the store and pick some up.

He hasn't exactly made these statements, but I can see it in his eyes. Just the other day he brought his plastic batman he bought for twenty-five cents at a garage sale this summer, with it's arm dangling and whining: "Moooom, I need some two part poxy!!"

Looks like we'll be heading to the hardware store.

2 comments:

TheFitnessFreak said...

Awww, what a nice mommy:) Ryder will appreciate this knowledge when he is older.

Beks said...

Haaaa hah! Darn that good ol' Alpine Lumber education!