Friday, February 13, 2009

I love them, just not blended......

Anyone who knows me, knows my love of smoothies and sneaking various goodies into them. Ground flaxseed, wheat germ, spinach, broccoli, just to name a few. They are a great place to hold a treasure trove of nutrition (the kids even ask for the spinach now).

Today I thought I had a great idea.

I added a big handful of sprouted beans.

This was not a good idea. Even I couldn't handle the taste of it.

Seriously, it was gross.

Ryder, seeing the sprouted beans on the counter, asked: "Mom, did you put those in here? It's not tasting very good."

I dumped the whole lot back into the blender determined to fix it. It whirled away with the addition of a banana and some maple syrup to try and "cover" the sprouty flavor.

No such luck.

Sometimes smoothie making can be an expensive place for trial and error. So let me save all of you some time and money: Never, ever add sprouted beans, sprouts or anything remotely related to them to your smoothies. They are only good for sandwiches or just PLAIN!

5 comments:

Farrah said...

Anchovies might be a bit too powerful as well:) Worms as well...chewy

TheFitnessFreak said...

Yeah, sprouted beans are not the first ting that comes to mind when thinking of smoothies. Glad you tried it and let us know not to make the same mistake:)

Mama V said...

LOL... that's seriously gross, but seriously funny. Thanks for the tip!!! :)

Lizzie M. said...

Oh, Jess, I think the worms might have been a better choice..... :-)

Jenn said...

This is good to know because I love to try and sneak goodies in smoothies, too. So beans = bad? :)