Monday, March 16, 2009

They are going to last FOREVER.

In my ongoing effort to prove frugality trumps "going green" I bought some of those 'special' light bulbs. Actually, I was at Costco and had the traditional incandescents in my cart when I read the side of the box and saw that hour for hour, I would get more time out of the CFLs. So in my frugality I traded boxes. More hours for less money? I'm there.

Let me just say, have you used them yet? The color is hideous. I mean hid. e. ous. It's like the worst dressing room lighting of the century. All of a sudden I get all panicky with flashbacks of trying on swimsuits and various other items that cause you to gasp, while the salesperson inquires if you're all right. Breathe, just breathe. Ok, oh yes, I'm just sitting in the family room trying to read....it's just that pesky lighting.

Sorry to repeat here, but have you used them yet? Let's just say the hall is not the best place for these things. Every time I go to grab something out of the closet and flip on the light for two seconds to see what I'm grabbing, I'm met with darkness. They take, like, fifteen minutes to actually light up and be useful. so, ofcourse they have a longer life, I NEVER turn it on. Seriously, never. I just use my bedroom light to cast enough light into the closet so I can see.

Then I heard there is mercury in them, so if you break one you are supposed to call the EPA. Hello, I have four kids under six, I'm sure my entire house is a walking EPA violation. I can hear Ashlynn speaking to the EPA rep now, "Oh, a broken light isn't so bad, you should see when we clean out the refrigerator. And Mommy is always telling Gage to take things out his mouth. Chemicals Gage. No, no."

I know there are all different types of CFLs now and I'm sure I just bought the really lame ones, but they ARE really lame. For now, I'll stick with the traditional incandescent and rely on my obsession with making sure they are off until needed.

5 comments:

Beks said...

Ahhhh hah hah hah!!! Agreed!

TheFitnessFreak said...

Aaron loathes those! The light from them makes you feel like you're in "Joe vs. the Volcano".

Farrah said...

Ok girl. You spilled the water all over when you tried to quit your water bottle use. And oh yes! Those lights are SOOOOO creepy! I'm thinking recycling might just be your thing:) Use material grocery bags, that seems safe! And remember, we're uniques, we're not going green like everyone else, we're going blue!

Jenn said...

I refuse to use the CFLs because of the mercury! I've heard manufacturers are working hard on better CFLs that don't contain mercury...I'll wait until then. Glad to know I'm not missing much. :)

Deborah Hays said...

I'm with ya on those lights. I purchased mine some time ago and HATE them. I'm always looking to see if the light bulbs are burning out. I can't see a thing. I say we pack them all up and send them to Mr. Gore. He can sit in the dark........ I mean he's already doing that to a degree. I'll take the ones that don't hurt my eyesight because I can actually see something with them.