Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Superman.

While at the pool on Sunday, Randy stopped to help one of the kids in our neighborhood (who uses wheelchair) out of the pool. With a career in emergency response, helping someone out is just a natural part of his character. It's not in him to just stand by and wait for another person to come along and assist without being directly involved in the process.

Of course, he would never "toot his own horn" and all too often I am conditioned to his abilities as "something that has always been". Even when we were dating, it seemed we would happen upon an accident or car fire or similar emergency and he was there taking charge of situation, bringing order out of chaos.

As a middle child, I'm the peacemaker. Control, responsibility, leadership, organization....not my strong suits. If a person were to run in the house with blood coming out of a wound, I would toss them a towel, advise them to put pressure on it and wait for help to come while running to hide myself in the bathroom. Not that I'm an out of control, irresponsible, unstable person, I just don't assert myself in those roles unless absolutely necessary. Randy, well, he was made for it. I am so grateful to have my Rock and my Redeemer in Christ, but I feel tremendously blessed to have a "rock" here on earth.

Ok. Getting back to the pool. When he was helping the kid out, he looked up at Randy and asked in earnest, "Are you the strongest man in the world?" Randy just laughed and responded, "No buddy, I'm not." Now that I've been thinking about it, I'd have to say he's the strongest man in my world.

5 comments:

Lisa Gunn Magnus said...

That is the sweetest story and so Randy. You are so blessed. See you in a couple of weeks. Love to all.

Jen said...

That is SO sweet! I love this post - you have your very own superhero! :)

TheFitnessFreak said...

Awww, how sweet:)

Mama V said...

Precious!!! :)

Deborah Hays said...

Hey! You forget... he's the strongest man in my world as far as fires are concerned! Remember when he blew out that raging fire on the stove that burned your father?? Of course don't tell him I said that or I will never hear the end of it!

Love you, mom