Sunday, August 23, 2009

Staying positive.

Most of you know I love summer. Let the heat roll in and put me near a body of water. It can be a pool, lake, ocean, kiddie pool, whatever and I'm a happy camper. Yesterday as I was driving down the road I noticed the slightest changes beginning to come over the leaves on the trees. The deep green of summer is starting to take on a bit of yellow and my eyes almost welled up with sadness knowing fall (which really translates to winter) is just around the corner. Ok, maybe I didn't get that sappy, but I am already missing the pool.

In an effort to keep a good attitude, I have complied a list of things that I will not miss about summer that could potentially make winter seem more positive. I'm trying.

  • No more pulling weeds. One thing I have learned to appreciate in the Midwest is those pesky guys take a break in the winter (that or the snow just covers them up!).
  • No mosquitoes!!! Honestly, I don't know how they survived before I lived here. My blood seems to be there sole source of sustenance and their presence is the contributing factor to my delay in weeding.
  • Not quite as much shaving. Jeans and long sleeve shirts hide quite a bit.
  • I can actually wear my hair straight without a battle. My natural frizz is completely infatuated humidity.
  • Gage won't ask "What's that loud noise?" every night as the cicadas sing.
  • No more lathering the kids up with sunscreen everyday. Wait a minute, strike that one, this would mean we were going to the pool....and for that, I love sunscreen.
  • No more major toenail polish touch-ups.
  • No more Homemade Ice Cream from the best place in town.....they are only open seasonally. Sad, but really good for my checking account and waistline.
  • Speaking of waistline, how about a break from the exercise routine? Everyone needs some spring goals....

There you have, that's about as positive as I can get as I bid farewell to my favorite time of the year. Goodbye summer, see you in ten months!

3 comments:

TheFitnessFreak said...

Okay, here are my favorite things about fall and winter:

Pumpkin everything and anything
Hot coffee and a good book
Baking
Warm sweaters
Cozy jammies
Did I mention pumpkin and baking? :)

Jen said...

You are a ray of sunshine, Lizzie! I love your silver-lining attitude. You brought a smile to my day:) GREAT list!

Lizzie M. said...

Colie-I forgot about baking!! Now I don't have to worry about over-heating the house when I get a hankering for baked goods!!