Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The trail.

With Randy still on the mend from his torn muscle, my schedule has become a bit discombobulated. The cold, cloudy, snowy weather has taken my motivation level to an all time low. It reminds me of a conversation I had with my cousin a couple of months ago when we were discussing her job. See, she works for the parks and recreation in her state and spends her days maintaining, building and clearing the public trails. It's beautiful for her to see God's awesome handiwork and fulfilling to make these trails as close to nature as possible.

But.....

It's back-breaking work. Each day, with a heavy load of tools (nothing can be motorized) they journey to their destination. They labor all day and just when they feel worn out and ready to collapse, thy must hike uphill back out of the trails. "I love my job, I don't want to complain, but some days that hike really gets you", she told me.

As I listened to her I had one of those light bulb moments. " That's it!", I thought. "That's motherhood and life. You love it so much, but all day you labor and when you think the day is almost done, there stands the big hill. You have to muster all of your strength and climb back up....knowing you will be starting over the next day."

Just like my cousin, I have the tools I need to help me in my work. Each day I can choose what I will use and how much time I will dedicate to these "tools". Mine, also, are not motorized, they take elbow grease and diligence. How easy it is to skip getting up early to read the Bible or take the time to pray over my day and my family.

Sometimes it seems there is no progress, the trail is so long, you don't see an end to it. But then, you turn around and look back to see beauty, to see a way was made. Rough and narrow it might be, God is guiding each step and leading you to the next path that must be cleared.

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."
James 1:2-4

How are your trails coming?

6 comments:

Pickles for Breakfast ! said...

Thanks, Liz... I totally needed that!
You are a blessing!

(I have goose bumps)

TheFitnessFreak said...

I'm definitely at the bottom of the hill right now so thanks for the encouraging word : )

Anonymous said...

So true! Thank you so much for that! Inspiring! Hugs and kisses to all your "little trails" for us!

Lindsey

Jen said...

I love that verse! What an encouraging & challenging post! :)

Beks said...

Hmm. Now I'm scared to have kids. I'm lazy. ; )

Lizzie M. said...

Nice try Beks....you'll do just amazing...you're not getting out of it that easy :-)!!!!