Thursday, February 11, 2010

Chocolate Chip Cookies...revamped!


Most of you know, I am the cookie monster. Rather, the chocolate chip cookie monster. I'd really like to think of myself as a connoisseur, but monster is probably more applicable. I love them. Everywhere I go, if someone or someplace is selling a chocolate chip cookie...it's mine. If we've gone more than three days without making some, you will promptly smell them in the oven. So, in my effort to make things as healthy as possible with all kinds of nutritional goodies inside, I tackled my last hold out...er, recipe, here is the makeover:


Lizzie's Really Good, Somewhat more Healthy, Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 cup Flour (you can use whole wheat, all-purpose, spelt, gluten-free, whatever)
1 1/4 C Oats
1/2 t Salt
1/2 t Baking Soda
1/4 c Shredded Coconut (I used the unsweetened organic coconut)
1/4 c Flaxseed Meal (ground finer in my coffee grinder...I cleaned it out first)
1/2 c Butter (you could also use a vegan substitute like yummy Earth Balance)
1/4 c Almond Butter (you could use peanut butter or any other nut butter)
1/2 c Brown Sugar (you could use maple sugar, sucanat, agave-use less, etc)
1 egg (or egg replacement)
1 T vanilla (cuz I like it)
1/2-1 c Chocolate Chips (or you could break up a dark chocolate bar..or two....mmmm)

Preheat oven to 365 degrees.
Pulverize the oats until fine (or however you like it) in the blender. Mix the flour, pulverized oats, salt, baking soda, coconut, and flaxseed meal in a medium bowl, set aside. Cream butter, almond butter and brown sugar in a mixing bowl. Add vanilla and egg to butter mixture mix until blended. Slowly add flour mixture until blended, batter will be thick. Add chocolate chips and stir. If you and any little hands around you don't eat all of the batter, place rounded teaspoonful on cookie sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes.

Try it and let me know what you think, or any other alterations you made!!

6 comments:

TheFitnessFreak said...

Oooh, those sound yummy! I'll give them a whirl, maybe Monday. Oh, it's going to be near 80 degrees outside, maybe I'll wait until it's cooler : )

Jen said...

This sounds fantastic! Thanks for sharing, Cookie Monster;) It was entertaining to read, too!

Lizzie M. said...

Thanks for rubbing in the 80 degrees Cole!!!!

TheFitnessFreak said...

Yeah, I thought you'd like it : )

Jen said...

I was telling my sister Sarah about these today & she asked for the recipe. We both can't wait to make them!

Lizzie M. said...

BC-I sooo glad! I hope she likes them!!