Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Exactly.....

On Valentine's Day we took a plate of cookies to our next door neighbor, who was kind to enough to invite all of the kids inside. After giving us a tour of her lovely home and treating the kids to some goodies of their own, we finished delivering our other packages.

On the way home from Grandma and Grandpa's, Ashlynn remarked how "beautiful Miss Shirley's house was". She actually kept going on and on about it and then asked: "How come our house isn't as pretty and clean as Miss Shirley's? I want our house to be that nice, let's work on that."

I glanced back at her in the mirror and saw her wheels were still turning. The next statement made it all come together: "I guess Miss Shirley doesn't have kids though. All the mess at our house is from kids, kids, kids. With all of the toys and all of the games and all of the books and all of the puppets." She kept thinking quietly.

"I have an idea", I replied. "What if I sell you guys in the next garage sale and then the house will be able to be like Miss Shirley's? Then I won't have any kid stuff around and the house will be clean as a whistle."

Ryder pepped in at this point: "We only have to get rid of Gage, he's the messy one." How sweet, brotherly love in action.

Realizing some of the *cough* (Ryder) children might have taken me seriously about selling them, I went on and on about selling them and the goofy ways I would get rid of all the toys. Assured now I was completely joking, they began to go along with it.

"I can't sell you guys, though. How boring would that be? I would have nothing to do, but clean, clean, clean all day long. No one to play with, no one to make me laugh, no one to hug and kiss all the time. Nope, way to boring. You guys have to stick around. Forever."

5 comments:

Bekah said...

You can tell Ashlynn that people without kids have messy houses too. She should see mine.

TheFitnessFreak said...

Trust me, I too have considered it:) Especially right now with them all sick!

Lisa Gunn Magnus said...

Isn't it amazing how little minds grasp things that we don't even think they get. They're smarter than we think.How cute are they. I know what you mean even though I only have one, I ask Jeff all the time "what did we do before he got here?" They're the best! It's great being a mom.

Farrah said...

Lu was set to spend the night at my dad's house on Tuesday, the night before her birthday. We dropped her off and came home. 10 minutes later, I started to whine. "I miss Lucy, it's too quiet here and we won't get to see her first thing in the morning on her b-day." I was busy moping and then around 10:15pm, the phone rang, "I can't sleep and I'm missing spending my last day of being 7 with you. "Wanna come home?" I ask, trying to contain my happiness. "Yup." "We'll be right there!" Oops, that sounded too happy. What WAS life like before?

corrie said...

Oh this story is TOO funny!! I can't stop laughing :)