Saturday, September 6, 2008

Maybe they are jealous.

So anybody who is anybody has heard all of the talk surrounding the pick for the VP spot on the Republican ticket. It ranges from 'how great she is' to 'who does she think she is' and quite frankly, it amazes me that she is being scrutinized for having children and a career. I mean, how dare that woman.

Today I was in the midst of a group of women who all agreed there was no way Sarah could accomplish the job of VP and have a family. They actually said: "You can't have it all". Funny thing was, the conversation started when they found out I had four kids and began comparing that to Sarah's five. Quickly, I jumped in and stated I could handle the position and my family.

Funny thing, I don't think they even heard me.

On and on these women went about her "poor" children who be raised by numerous nannies (not sure why they think there would be so many??). And that even though they were working moms, the demand of her job would be much greater and therefore was not acceptable.

Let me ask, since when did we measure each person to the same degree? I would assert to say some people are just more capable than others. We are are all created equal, but are all very, very different from one another.

There may be men who can't handle a wife or let alone children. There may be a man who puts in his forty hours and desires nothing more out of life. There may be a mother who can't imagine trying to raise more than one child and run a house. There may be a women who has seven children and is the CEO of her own company.

Are you getting the point? Every person has their own degree of comfortable and that includes how comfortable they are with the challenges in their life. Having four kids and "handling" them has made me feel like I am capable of many things. Being a mom is an occupation that, more than any other, requires selflessness and learning to put others and their needs before your own.

God gives us strength and also provides us opportunities to use it.

Don't short change someone based on their gender and family size. Just because some people may not be capable of the duty doesn't mean someone else is not. Let's not let lack of personal self confidence and jealousy get in the way of another individual's accomplishments.

6 comments:

TheFitnessFreak said...

Isn't it amazing that women can do "anything" they want, except when that woman is a conservative republican........hmmmmmmm! So much for womens lib.

Farrah said...

My gosh! Jealous? They must be. I was quite impressed with her age, the speech she made and the fact that she has a family with all those kids, especially the newest one at only four months old. I think she's a beautiful and capable woman and let's see what those women have to say when she proves them wrong! And I think people like you, me and Nicole, just to name a few, are wonderful proof of strong and capable women. Liz, I hear you:)

Anonymous said...

Amen, sister! Couldn't have said it better myself! And by the way, I'm very jealous of your Sarah sign! :-)

Deborah Hays said...

Just in case you hadn't heard, her husband will be the one who will be home with the kids. I think that is pretty wonderful in and of itself. Hmmmmm and what does one do about Deborah in the Bible? I would say that she had a pretty tough job and the men wouldn't even go out to war unless she went with them. And what about the women mentioned in Nehemiah 3 who helped rebuild the wall?

Anonymous said...

Way to go Liz! That is exactly the way i feel. Keep up the good words. Love you, Grams

Beks said...

I think you should run in 2012. You'd do fabulous!